Are Indoor Ants In San Mateo Causing You Problems?
June 09, 2022 - Ants
Ants may seem like harmless pests, but they cause a whole host of problems in San Mateo homes. They contaminate food sources and carry harmful bacteria. Ants also cause extensive structural damage to homes, resulting in thousands of dollars in home renovations.
It's important to get ants under control before you become a victim of a full-blown infestation. Keep reading to learn about the area's ants and how to protect your property.
Gross! What Kind Of Ant Is This?
There are a few different ant species common to the San Mateo area. Here is a list of the types along with their identifying characteristics:
- Pavement Ant: These ants get their name from their preference to build their colonies between cracks in the pavement. They are dark brown to black in color and are roughly 1/8" in length. Pavement ants will also nest in insulation, masonry walls, and underneath the flooring.
- Carpenter Ant: This species of ant is typically black but may be a reddish color. Carpenter ants are around 5/8" in length. They chew through wood to build their colonies, preferably moist wood with fungus.
- Argentine Ant: These ants are a shiny dark brown or black color. They're between 1/16" and 1/4" in length and give off a musty odor when crushed. Argentine ants build shallow nests in moist areas, close to a food source.
Consider contacting an exterminator skilled in ant control solutions like Pacific Pest Management at the first signs of a serious infestation.
The Problems Indoor Ants Can Cause In Your Home
Although ants don't sting or produce venom, the problems they cause can be devastating. Let's take a look at the issues ants cause, especially when they make their way inside your home.
- Nuisance: A hungry ant colony invading your home can quickly bring a large number of insects into your house. This can be an overwhelming experience, making it almost impossible to eliminate every single insect. Some ants, like the Argentine ant, give off a foul smell when crushed, making home extermination attempts frustrating and unpleasant.
- Food Contamination: While ants don't carry infectious diseases, they can pick up germs and spread them onto whatever they come into contact with. Ants will build colonies in or around garbage and rancid food, where they pick up illnesses like salmonellosis, E.coli, and shigella. If these ants crawl across your counters or get into your food, they will contaminate it. Ingesting contaminated food could result in severe illness.
- Structural Damage: Carpenter ants, in particular, cause extensive structural damage to countless homes each year. If these ants choose to build their colony inside your walls, they will chew through a large amount of wood in a relatively short amount of time. When they have damaged too much wood, it could result in structural collapse. At the very least, you'll incur unexpected, expensive home repair bills.
An unaddressed ant problem can result in severe property damage. It may also make your family sick. It's vital to get ants under control through the use of effective ant control techniques or working with an ant pest control professional.
The Best Ant Killer Options For DIY Pest Control
There are several natural ways to get rid of ants for mild ant problems. Using essential oils, like tea tree, peppermint, and lemon eucalyptus, are effective when mixed with water and sprayed around the home. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth around your baseboards and window sills. You can also try sprinkling cayenne pepper or spraying a mild dish detergent and water solution.
When do-it-yourself methods fail, rely on Pacific Pest Management, one of the best ant control companies in San Mateo.
Let The Professionals Handle Ant Infestations For You
If you're searching for reliable, affordable ant control solutions near you, trust the experts at Pacific Pest Management. We've been a premier source of pest control in San Mateo for over 17 years. Customer service is our number one priority. Give us a call to learn more about how we can get rid of the ants on your property for good.