Flea Control 101: Fighting Fleas In San Mateo
April 15, 2023 - Fleas
It's the beginning of another sunny San Mateo day, and your dog has been jumping on you all morning. It's taken you a while, but you just noticed they've been scratching – and not just a little bit. Before long those pesky fleas are everywhere. With the help of professional pest control in San Mateo, you don't have to fight them alone. This guide will give you some essential knowledge that you will need in your fight for a flea-free home.
How To Identify A Flea Infestation
If you have pets, the first thing to do is check their fur for fleas, especially if they have been scratching a lot. It's possible to get a flea infestation without pets in the household but more common in homes with four-legged friends. To detect them, you will have to either see the fleas themselves or find flea bites on your ankles or other exposed skin. You also may see flea dirt, which is their excrement in pet fur, on your carpet, or in other fabrics.
If you need more apparent signs of fleas, you can set out flea traps to check for flea activity in your San Mateo home. Essentially just a light-colored sticky surface, a flea trap is not a standalone solution to an infestation, but it can be useful in detecting and monitoring flea activity in your home.
How Fleas Can Be Harmful To Both People And Pets
Pets are often prescribed flea prevention treatments because of the health risks associated with these pests, but fleas can also be a health risk for humans. In animals, fleas can cause anemia if they are allowed to feed on them for a long period of time. Pets can also experience hair loss and severe itching.
Flea bites on human skin often result in itching and swelling as well. It is also possible for them to spread diseases like murine typhus and tularemia. That's why rampant flea infestations should not be ignored. If you are experiencing any of these issues, reach out to Pacific Pest Management for help with flea control.
Simple Ways To Prevent Future Flea Problems
Fleas. Troublesome little critters, aren't they? But don't worry; here are some of our best tricks and tips to avoid getting a flea infestation:
- Keep your carpets, rugs, and furniture clean by vacuuming regularly. Make sure to focus on areas where your pets hang out.
- Wash your pet's bedding and blankets frequently in hot water.
- Use flea preventatives on your pets, such as flea drops, flea collars, or prescription treatments.
- Keep your yard tidy by mowing the grass and removing debris.
- Seal any gaps or cracks in your home's foundation.
- Check used furniture or rugs for signs of fleas before bringing them into your home.
- Use natural flea repellents, like diatomaceous earth or essential oils.
- Check for and get rid of any rodent or wildlife infestations that may be playing host to fleas.
- Check visiting pets for fleas before allowing them inside.
- Don't let your pet wander into overgrown areas in the yard or neighborhood where fleas could potentially be lurking.
These tips are easy to implement and will help prevent any flea infestations. It's all about taking proactive measures. So take these steps and enjoy a flea-free home with our effective flea control services in San Mateo.
The Trick To Total Flea Control For Your Home
If total flea control for your San Mateo house is what you are looking for, the experts at Pacific Pest Management excel at prioritizing the customer's needs and offering the most accurate and effective services. We'll customize a plan to eradicate the fleas in your San Mateo home. Call us for a free estimate and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in San Mateo.
Angel was great. He arrived on time, did a thorough inspection of our house and created a good plan at a fair price. I will definitely work with them again!