What To Do About Dangerous Spiders In Your San Mateo Home
August 24, 2022 - Spiders
Are you looking for quality pest control in San Mateo for spiders? Most garden spiders are pretty harmless, but there are two arachnids in San Mateo that you should be familiar with. These spiders are both nocturnal, and although they don’t often have a painful bite if you accidentally encounter them, their venom leaves a mark.
The Two Types Of Dangerous Spiders Found In San Mateo
The black widow and brown recluse are the two most poisonous spiders in San Mateo and two somewhat common types of house spiders. They are both active at night; however, the black widow will spin its web during the day. Brown recluses do not spin webs, but they still produce silk.
- Black widow: The female black widow is black and has a red hourglass on its abdomen. Male black widows have black legs and matte brown bodies.
- Brown recluse: The brown recluse comes in shades of brown, and when their legs are splayed, they are no bigger than a quarter.
Much of the time, people don’t realize when they’ve been bitten by one of these spiders. They don’t have a strong bite force, but they do have powerful venom.
The Symptoms Of Dangerous Spider Bites
Remember, these two spiders are actually considered common household spiders, and yet, they are two of the most dangerous spiders in the U.S. To an adult with a good immune system, these types of spider bites will trigger some kind of reaction. Symptoms of dangerous spider bites include:
- You may see swelling or pain at the site of the bite.
- The area may blister.
- The brown recluse leaves a red bullseye-shaped bite.
- Necrosis of the skin.
- You may feel some malaise.
- You may also experience fever, vomiting, GI upset, or body aches.
These are symptoms healthy adults may experience, but symptoms could be much worse for those with compromised immune systems, the elderly, and children. For example, a brown recluse’s venom can cause deep tissue necrosis. Seek medical attention if your symptoms are severe or not better with at-home care.
The Safest Way To Get Rid Of Dangerous Spiders Around Your Home
There are home remedies to get rid of spiders all over the internet, and although well-intentioned, most of those techniques should be used for prevention, not treatment. If you want to get rid of spiders, especially this kind, don’t hesitate to call for professional pest control help.
Six Practical Tips To Prevent Future Dangerous Spider Infestations
Dangerous spiders like the dark; they seek dark corners to build webs and hide in. The brown recluse is the size of a quarter when it is threatened, surprised, or on the attack. The black widow builds its web in high places, resembling a cat’s cradle. If you come across one of these dangerous spiders, how do you prevent it from happening again?
- Add light into dark spaces. One way to do so is to put an induction light there and a plant.
- Certain plants repel spiders, like basil. Thai basil can get about two feet tall and has strong branches and pretty purple flowers.
- Spray peppermint oil in and around the areas these spiders may hang out.
- Remove any webs you can see.
- Use a spider catcher, or vacuum, to catch spiders in your home, then release them outside.
- Ensure you don't have a secondary pest problem. Spiders eat many common household pests, so denying them a food source can keep them away.
Don't bother with the hassle of DIY tips. If you need spider control now; call a professional. For many people, a fear of spiders is a very real thing, so you do not have to know what kind of spider you have for us to deal with your pest problem. We provide effective spider control services to protect your home and everyone in it.
Angel visited my home to inspect a possible rodent issue. He told me exactly what was going on, and gave me great advice to manage it. Great options and no pressure. He was very professional, responsive, on time, and graciously called me to tell me he was on his way just like he promised.
I will call Pacific Pest again if I have any additional issues. I heartily recommend Angel with Pacific Pest. You can't go wrong!