Ant Control 101: A Complete Guide For San Mateo Homeowners
February 10, 2023 - Ants
Ants are one of the most common household pests in the United States and can be a real nuisance. Most people don't give much thought to ants – until they find them in their home, that is. Then, they become a major problem. You're not alone if you're dealing with an ant problem in your home. We will cover San Mateo pest control and provide tips to prevent ants from entering your home.
Common Species Of Home-Invading Ants In San Mateo
Several different species of ants can become a problem in San Mateo homes. Some of the most common include Argentine ants, carpenter ants, pharaoh ants, and sugar ants.
Argentine ants are among the most common ant pests in the United States. They're small, dark ants that are about ⅛ of an inch long. These ants are attracted to sweets and grease, so they can often dwell in kitchens.
Carpenter ants are large ants that are black or dark brown. They're about ¼ of an inch long. These ants get their name because they like to build their nests in wood. Carpenter ants can cause damage to the wood in your home as they build their nests.
Pharaoh ants are little, light-colored ants that are about ⅛ of an inch long. They're common in hospitals and other commercial buildings but can also be a problem in homes. Pharaoh ants are attracted to sweets and grease.
Sugar ants are tiny ants that are brown or black. They're about ⅛ of an inch long. As their name suggests, these ants are attracted to sweets. However, they will also eat just about anything.
Why Ants Can Be So Problematic For Homeowners
Ants can be a nuisance for several reasons:
- Difficult to get rid of once they've invaded your home: Getting rid of ants in your home can be difficult. Eventually, ants will figure out how to avoid ant baits. More ants will keep coming if you only kill the ones you see. You need to find and eliminate the nest to get rid of ants, but it can be challenging if you don't know where the nest is.
- Cause damage to your property: As Carpenter ants build their nests, they damage the wood. If you have an ant problem, it is important to take measures to get rid of them and prevent them from returning.
- Carry diseases: While most ants in the United States are not known to carry diseases, some species can transmit diseases to humans. For example, pharaoh ants have been known to transmit diseases such as staphylococcus and salmonellosis.
- Sign of a bigger problem: If you have ants in your home, it could signify a termite problem. The presence of ants along your walls may also indicate termites nearby. A termite infestation can cause a lot more damage than ants. Termites attract ants because they feed on their waste. Ants also prey on termites.
These reasons and many more are all why ant control is so crucial for your house.
How To Naturally Remove Factors That Attract Ants To Your Home
Organic ant control for your home can make it less attractive to ants, such as:
- Keep food put away and clean up any spills or crumbs right away: Ants are attracted to food, so keeping your kitchen clean is a good way to prevent them from coming into your home.
- Remove any sources of moisture from your home: Ants need moisture to survive, so getting rid of water sources will make your home less attractive to them.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in your home: This will make it more difficult for ants to get inside.
An ant control service in San Mateo is the best option regardless of the ant prevention tips above.
The Best Way To Protect Your Home From Ants
Ant pest control is the best way to protect your home. With Pacific Pest Management, we offer the best home pest control for ants in San Mateo. For effective ant control, call us today! Don't let ants take over your home.
Angel visited my home to inspect a possible rodent issue. He told me exactly what was going on, and gave me great advice to manage it. Great options and no pressure. He was very professional, responsive, on time, and graciously called me to tell me he was on his way just like he promised.
I will call Pacific Pest again if I have any additional issues. I heartily recommend Angel with Pacific Pest. You can't go wrong!