San Mateo Homeowners' Complete Guide To Total Flea Control
February 25, 2022 - Fleas
Fleas are some of the most troublesome pests that can infest your San Mateo home. Flea bites can cause intense itching and irritation, and a hypersensitive animal will often require veterinary assistance after bites.
Fleas can also transmit life-threatening diseases. Ridding your home of fleas can be a daunting and costly endeavor. However, with the aid of a licensed San Mateo pest control firm, you can go back to enjoying your home once more.
What Is A Flea?
A flea is a tiny, wingless parasitic insect that lives off the blood of mammals and birds. Fleas are external parasites, which means they require a host to survive. They live on all continents except Antarctica. The most common types of fleas in the United States are:
- Cat flea: The cat flea (Ctenocephalides felis) is the most common type of flea found in the U.S. This species of flea isn't only a nuisance to cats but also dogs and humans. The cat flea can jump up to 12 inches high and live for 100 days or longer.
- Dog Flea: The dog flea (Ctenocephalides canis) is the second most common type of flea found in the U.S. Like their counterpart, the cat flea, the dog flea can also infect humans.
- Human Flea: The human flea (Pulex irritans) is the third most common type of flea found in the U.S. This species of flea feeds on various warm-blooded hosts, including humans, dogs, and cats.
When faced with a flea infestation, it's important to take action quickly. The longer you wait, the more difficult it'll be to get rid of fleas. Consult a vetted and qualified San Mateo pest control firm to help you get your home back.
How Fleas Are Harmful To Both People And Pets
Unlike some pests, fleas cause diseases and medical issues in both people and pets. Fleas transmit more than 20 diseases. Some of these diseases include:
- Bubonic Plague. Also known as the "Black Death," this disease was responsible for the death of millions of people in Europe during the 14th century.
- Tularemia. This disease is also known as "rabbit fever." It's a serious medical threat because it can easily spread to humans via contaminated food or water or contact with an infected animal.
- Typhus. Typhus is a bacterial infection that causes fever, headache, and rashes.
- Rickettsia. Rickettsia is another bacterial infection. Symptoms include fever, headache, and muscle pain.
- Dipylidium Caninum. This type of tapeworm can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, and weight loss.
If you notice flea bite marks on your skin or your pet is scratching and biting themselves more than usual, it's a good idea to see a doctor or veterinarian. Additionally, reach out to a qualified pest control professional to investigate and rid your home of fleas.
Four Naturally Effective Ways To Prevent Fleas In The House
Prevention is always the best way to get rid of fleas. It's cheaper and less time-consuming than getting rid of an infestation. To prevent or reduce the number of fleas getting into your home, follow these tips:
- Keep your home clean.
- Use natural flea spray made from essential oils.
- Vacuum regularly.
- Wash your pet's bedding in hot water weekly.
You can keep fleas from taking over your home by following these tips. However, if you already have a flea infestation, it's best to consult a seasoned pest control firm to get rid of them for good.
The Secret To Total Flea Control For San Mateo Homes
The key to total flea control is to break the flea life cycle. This means preventing fleas from laying eggs and larvae from developing into adults. As experienced professionals, professional pest control companies are well-equipped with training and products to do this job effectively.
Pacific Pest Management is a qualified and licensed San Mateo pest control firm. We have over 17 years of experience in the industry, and our team of experts knows how to get rid of fleas quickly and efficiently.
Don't let fleas take over your home—call us today!
Angel visited my home to inspect a possible rodent issue. He told me exactly what was going on, and gave me great advice to manage it. Great options and no pressure. He was very professional, responsive, on time, and graciously called me to tell me he was on his way just like he promised.
I will call Pacific Pest again if I have any additional issues. I heartily recommend Angel with Pacific Pest. You can't go wrong!