What are rodents?
Rodents are mammals with a pair of teeth that never stop growing, so they are synonymous with chewing. The most common home-infesting rodents are house mice, followed by Norway rats and roof rats.
- House mice have gray fur, a round body and grow between 2 ½ to 3 ¾ inches long with their tail adding 2 to 3 more inches.
- Norway rats grow between 7 to 9 ½ inches long with a 6 to 8-inch tail. They have brown fur with some black scattered around their long and heavy body.
- Roof rats have brown and black fur and 6 to 8-inch long bodies, and a tail with an equal length.
Are rodents dangerous?
Not only are rodents in San Mateo dangerous, but they can also create a lot of damage. Here are many of the ways rodents are problematic:
- They spread diseases including, but not limited to, rat-bite fever, salmonellosis, rabies, and hantavirus.
- They carry parasites such as fleas, ticks, and mites.
- They contaminate food and surfaces with waste and saliva.
- They chew through just about any material causing cosmetic and structural damage.
- They can lead to fire and flood hazards by chewing through wires and pipes.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Rodents are opportunists, and unfortunately, people tend to provide many opportunities for food, water, and shelter. On residential properties, rodents will take advantage of accessible garbage cans, fallen fruit, pet food, ponds, leaks, and any entry points they can find to get inside.
Where will I find rodents?
Mice only need a hole the size of a dime to squeeze through, and rats only need one the size of a penny; plus, with their ability to chew through most materials, these rodents can easily get into homes. Species like roof rats, which are excellent climbers, can enter a property through the roofline and infest the attic.
Rodents are commonly in kitchens, bathrooms, under sinks, closets, storage areas, basements, and garages.
How do I get rid of rodents?
The best way to handle a rodent infestation is professional rodent control assistance. San Mateo residents can contact us at Pacific Pest Management for expert rodent control.
Our home rodent control services in San Mateo include a thorough inspection for signs of activity, including droppings. Once we understand the infestation, we will utilize treatments that make sense for your property and needs. We will also perform exclusion work that comes with a two-year guarantee.
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
You can prevent future rodent infestations from happening by eliminating the things that make your home welcoming to these pests, including sealing any holes or cracks in your home’s exterior, repairing damaged screens, and installing chimney caps and vent covers.
Other prevention methods include keeping your property maintained, cutting branches that touch the roof, and using garbage cans with tight-fitting lids. Inside your home, make sure to clean up food debris, store food properly, and repair any leaks.
With ongoing professional pest control, you can ensure that you catch any signs of rodents early. Call us at Pacific Pest Management to learn more!
This is hands-down the only place to use for termite extermination. Minh and his partner quickly tracked down the source of the termites and treated the affected areas. He was very thorough, professional, fast, and reliable.