Rodents are some of the most unsuspecting yet dangerous pests that can interfere with your daily life. They sneak inside your home via sewer lines, gaps around doors and windows, and even simply through an open garage door. Once rodents enter your home, they will destroy anything that they can get their teeth on and can spread harmful diseases to everyone in your household. Rather than attempt to eliminate these pests on your own, professional pest control in San Mateo is the answer.
At Pacific Pest Management, we are the name that homeowners have trusted for more than 17 years, because we always take the safest route to pest elimination, customize all of our services to your needs, and work tirelessly to ensure 100% satisfaction. If you’d like more information on our offerings, please visit our rodent control page, and in the meantime, we hope that the following information is helpful in your quest to keep a rodent-free home.
How To Identify Common Types Of Rodents In San Mateo
Rodents in San Mateo are a very common category of pest problem for homeowners; however, they’re not all the same. There are three key offenders in the area:
- Rats: If you live in San Mateo, then you are likely to encounter wood rats, roof rats, and Norway rats. While each of these species has its own specific identifiers, you can tell them apart from mice because they are generally larger and have bigger, more prominent features. Roof rats are usually long, slender, and dark black or brown, while the Norway rat resembles somewhat of a potato. The wood rat is most mouse-like; however, it is still large and shares the feature of a long, hairless tail.
- Mice: There are two main types of mice that you might encounter in the area: the house mouse and the deer mouse. They are both much smaller than rats and have tinier features as well. The deer mouse is a dark gray color with a white belly, while the house mouse is usually a shade of light brown (and you'll see them indoors).
- Squirrels: Whether you encounter the tree squirrel or the ground squirrel, you can easily identify them by their big bushy tails, ability to climb trees, and the fact that they both often stand upright as well as walk on all four feet.
For additional help with rodent identification in San Mateo, call the experts at Pacific Pest Management today.
Rodents Can Spread Disease And Damage Property
Rodents may look cute and fuzzy and resemble a child’s pet; however, the issues that they are capable of causing can be very serious. Some of the risks that they’re associated with include:
- Health risks: Perhaps the biggest trouble that rodents are affiliated with, the health problems that they cause are vast and difficult to navigate. Rodents often leave behind massive amounts of droppings that can irritate allergies and asthma when their particles spread throughout the air. This is also similar to the way that hantavirus spreads and negatively affects your respiratory system. The same droppings, urine, and saliva that rodents produce are associated with leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis, salmonellosis, and tularemia.
- Other pest problems: Rodents often carry parasites like mites, fleas, and ticks. These secondary pest problems can be troublesome for humans as well as their pets, because these parasites feed off of blood, at which point, they can pass along the pathogens that cause tapeworm, typhus, heartworm, Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and tularemia. Excessive feeding can also cause anemia and hair loss in pets.
- Property damage: Rodents are also pesky because they will chew on anything that they find in order to keep their front incisor teeth from overgrowing. This can leave you with ruined insulation and increased energy costs, holes in walls, frayed electrical wires, and even house fires.
Rather than incur these types of issues around your home, look no further than Pacific Pest Management for rodent control in San Mateo. For more information on our warrantied signature service, please call us today.
How And Why Rodents Find Their Way Into Our Home
Rodents are some of the most crafty pests in San Mateo, and they will do anything that they need to in order to access exactly what they’re looking for. To start, rodents look for homes like yours because they offer shelter, food, water, or any combination of the three. Rodents usually look for damp and dark secluded places to call their home and find refuge from outside conditions or predators. This makes places like your basement, closets, attics, crawl spaces, wall voids, and any other nooks highly ideal for them. These areas of the home also represent places that you either visit infrequently or simply cannot access, which means that rodents can live in them freely and without hassle.
Another key reason why rodents will enter your home is for sustenance, and they aren’t fussy about what they’re looking for. Anything from uncovered leftovers or overly ripened bananas sitting on the counter to crumbs, food scraps, and literal garbage is appealing to rodents. They will also be happy with any water source that they can find, whether it’s coming from a leaky pipe, a faucet that you didn’t shut off properly, or condensation that’s built up in your crawl spaces. Sometimes, rodents don’t even need to enter your home for these things. If you store garbage outside or in the garage, they can easily gain hold of exactly what they need, and most people are also less vigilant about the bins that they store outside, when in fact, these items play a direct role in the attraction of rodents.
Rodents are also very sneaky when it comes to actually getting inside of your home. Rodents like rats and squirrels are both very good climbers and can take advantage of overhanging trees and shrubs in order to access rooflines and openings that might be far above the ground. This is why homeowners usually find these types of pests in their attics. Depending on the species, rats are also capable of using sewer systems and public drains to enter homes, which makes them very tricky to prevent. Rodents are also very good at slipping through small openings that are even the size of a dime. This makes gaps around windows and doors, crevices in foundations, and plumbing voids very easy for them to use and even easier for you to miss.
The Most Effective Rodent Control For San Mateo Homes
When it comes to the most effective rodent control in San Mateo, there is no solution that will keep your home safer than professional help from Pacific Pest Management. We have been working with local homeowners for more than 17 years, and we continue to prove our determination and dedication in everything that we do today. As members of the community that we treat, we understand the unique pressures that your home is under and why it may be enticing to local rodents.
In order to keep your entire household safe from the threats that rodents pose, we offer a signature rodent control program that will keep your home free from these pests, without fail. We begin the process by providing all potential clients with a free, no-obligation estimate for our services.
For your first service, we’ll send one of our highly trained technicians to perform a complete property inspection. During this visit, we will give a thorough look at the entirety of your home both inside and out so that we can address the level of activity that you’ve encountered, as well as hot spots and conducive conditions. Some of the additional things that we’re looking for are smear marks on walls, droppings, and gnaw marks, all of which might indicate the presence of rodents. Once we’ve gathered all of the necessary information and understood the scope of your rodent concerns, we’ll create a treatment plan that is unique to these specific needs.
All of the methods and products that we use to treat your property are eco-conscious and safe for people and pets alike. We primarily focus on the exclusion method, which involves professionally filling entry points around your property to draw out active rodents and prevent future invaders from getting through your walls. This is the most trusted system in the industry and it ensures lasting results to keep your home safe. We also provide routine monitoring of your home as an option, and each rodent exclusion service that we offer comes with a two-year warranty. For more information on keeping rodents out of your home, please call us today.
This is hands-down the only place to use for termite extermination. Minh and his partner quickly tracked down the source of the termites and treated the affected areas. He was very thorough, professional, fast, and reliable.